How to Keep Ants Away
Ants can be a big nuisance in your house. The existence of ants is not only frustrating but also damaging as well. A colony of ants can even cause a lot of damage. For example, ants inside the house can pollute the food. In this way, they can transfer bacteria in the food. So it is very important to get rid of ants.
In this article, you will learn about different families of ants. This article further explains what attracts ants. How to keep ants away. Finally, you will learn how to get rid of ants.
Common Species of Ants
According to different studies, there are almost 12,000 different species of ants. However, there are a few breeds that commonly exist indoors. Here is a list of some of the most common disastrous families:
- Carpenter Ants: This type is not harmful to humans. Though, they can be very destructive for building materials such as wood. Contrary to termites, they only eat vulnerable wood such as water-damaged timber. So keep your eyes on the weather-exposed or damp area.
- Pharaoh Ants: This breed is prolific. It means you can’t eradicate one they invade a building. So they are very dangerous in hospitals due to their tiny size. Because they don’t filtrate sterile areas and spread germs.
- Crazy Ants: This family has gained this name due to its erratic movement. They have multiple queens and live in large colonies.
- Odorous House Ant: These ants are tiny and have black or dark brown color. You can distinguish them by their smell. They have a rotten-smell odor when crushed.
- Fire Ants: Fire ants are very small but have a painful sting. They most often exist outdoors but invade homes in search of food and water.
Ants’ bites are usually not harmful. However, bites of Fire and Harvester can be very painful. So be careful! Whether the weather is too cold or too hot, you can still find ants running around. You can reduce their infestation using different methods.
The most common type among all is carpenter ants that you can find in your home. Before we learn how to keep ants away, let’s learn what attracts ants.
What does attract ants?
There are two most attractive things that compel these living creatures to come to your home. The first one is food and the other one is a shelter. Their first priority is food and shelter. Once they get it, they pay their attention to reproduction.
- Water and Food: Due to insufficient water and food in hot and dry weather, Ants move to your buildings. They forge for water and food. Ants eat almost all edible things such as fats, starches, meats, and sugar.
- Shelter: No one can stop ants to enter your home. They can enter through different cracks and crevices. Such as laundry vents, water pipes, chimney, and window sills.
Carpenter ants most often make their nests under the ground. However, during rainy days, the ground becomes soaked. To avoid drowning, they look for a higher or safe place. What can be an ideal place as compared to your home for them? Definitely, your home is heaven.
Your home gives them food, water, and shelter as well. So they come to your home and make their nest in the basement, attic or walls. And they can find their food all-around your home. For example, dropped ketchup, cheese, and breadcrumbs by your children are their food!
Top 5 useful tips to keep ants away:
Ant infestation is a story of each and every house. No one can tolerate them. There are different ways to get rid of ants. However, you will have to use more than one ways to completely eradicate them from your home.
Let’s discuss them all one by one:
You can use different ways to physically prevent ants from entering your homes known as exclusion. Remember, why ants come to your home? Food and water! All you need to stop providing these attractive things to prevent them from entering your home.
Keep your kitchen and dining room clean. Place your store food in airtight containers. You can place extra food in the refrigerator. Don’t leave any breadcrumbs or food-remnant after eating food.
Keep your countertops in the bathrooms clean. In addition, you should also keep your trash cans clean. In short, keep your home as clean as possible. Seal all their entrance points. Ants can enter your home using tree limbs. So cut them down that touch your house. It is the most effective way to get rid of ants.
If you find large colonies of ants in your home, insecticides are the most effective way to eradicate carpenter ants. Precaution! You must use it carefully. Otherwise, it can be very dangerous for kids and pets. Insecticide comes in different types:
- Insecticide Dust: This type is very effective and safe to use for eliminating ants outside. You can use it to kill them before entering your house. All you need to spread granular insecticides on the ants’ hole. It will kill carpenter ants in just a moment. In addition, you can spread this granular all-around your house. So it will protect your home from these pests.
- Insecticide Sprays: It is another remarkable option to prevent your home from ant infestation. Spray insecticide at the entrance point of the ants.
3. Ant Bait
For indoor ants, it is the most effective way to get rid of ants. Ant bait is very toxic and pleasant for ants. Moreover, it is the favorite food of ants. Worker ants eat it. They return to their nest and regurgitate the digested food. Then, they feed it to their larvae, queen and the other ants.
So if you use bait properly, it can even eradicate the entire colony of ants. The active ingredient used in the bait is Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate commonly known as borax. So you can use bait to kill any of the ants’ family. Such as black ants, carpenter ants, fire ants, etc.
There are different methods of repellent you can use to control ants. The manufactures use microscopic marine plants in repellent formation. They have extremely sharp edges. So when any insects cross them, then slice them. So the result is death!
5. Essential oils
There are different oil used for pest controls. Different firms produce these oil grinding, squeezing and steaming plants to extract chemicals. For example, lemon, orange, peppermint, and lavender are the most common types of oils and juice.
Take a spray bottle and pour oils into it. Use this method to get rid of ants. This is how to keep ants away from your home.
There are different ways to get rid of ants. If you want to completely wipe them out, you need to use more than one method. However, the most important method is to keep away from your home. You can do this by don’t provide them food and water.
You can destroy their shelter using insecticide or ant baits. Moreover, you can use different repellents. How to keep ants away? You can use different natural repellents such as chalk, lemon, and peppermint. Keep your home clean and make your home ant-proof!