How to find bed bugs during the day
Signs of bed bugs:
- Bed bug presence
- Small empty bed bug skins and shells
- Rust colored spots or stains on bedding and furniture
Where Do Bed Bugs Hide During The Day?
Can You See Bed Bugs with the Human Eye?
- The average bed bug is the size of a lady bug or an apple seed.
- They are a reddish dark brown color. As bed bugs age, their shell becomes darker.
- Bed bugs do not fly
- Their bodies expand when they feed
- Bed bugs have six legs and two antennae on each side of their heads
- Bed bugs have a long flat body, a small stomach and a tiny head.
Where Do Bed Bugs Hide During the Day?
They are able to hide in areas that are dark and difficult to access. One of the most popular examples of this are mattress seams and crevices.
Most people don’t flip their mattresses that often, so bed bugs are able to spread without being disturbed.
Below are a few examples of other areas you might find bed bugs:
- In the seams, stiching or piping of your mattress. Bed bugs will burrow as far into the gaps as possible.
- Behind loose wallpaper
- Underneath furniture, more than likely within the cracks and crevices of the wood. Prime areas will be near your bed but can also include sofas or dining areas anything really that people regularly come into contact with. Second hand furniture is a common hiding spot for bed bugs.
- Within the cracks in the wall or floorboards. It has also been reported for bed bugs to be found in your carpet, however this isn’t that common.
These bugs are most commonly found in areas such as beds, bedroom furniture, mattresses and bed linen. However bed bugs may also be found in the seams and crevices of bed frames, dressers and loosened wallpaper.
Second hand furniture is especially a prime hotspot for bed bugs and should be thoroughly cleaned before use.
It turns out bedbugs don’t need beds to survive. They can catch a ride to work on people’s coats, clothing and handbags, and live in office furniture or even files, and they can live for a full year on just one feeding.
It may come as a surprise but bed bugs do not actually need beds to survive. There have been reports of bed bugs found within retail companies such as JP Morgan Chase and even a case at Victoria’s secret where the store had to close for several days.
How To Find Bed Bugs During The Day
- Like most insects, bed bugs are disgusting. We’d recommend wearing gloves
- Remove the bed sheets and place in a plastic bag. Empty the bag straight into your washing machine.
- Using a torch check the sides, seems, sitching and piping of your mattress
- Keep an eye out for: bed bug shells, dead bed bugs, rust colored spots, blood stains or fecal matter.
- Lift each corner of the mattress, looking for any signs of bed bug life. Pay close attention to the corners and edges of the mattress
What to do when you find them?
Don’t crush the bed bugs when you find them as not only will it leave a red stain on your bedding or furniture, it’ll also disturb the remaining bed bugs causing them to scatter.
It is advisible to use a vacuum cleaner on the targeted area to collect all the bed bugs as well as their eggs, droppings and nymphs.
Learn more about Bed Bugs
We have numerous other bed bug guides. Each of these guides are written by our specialists to help live a pest free life.